Sunday 2 March 2014

Hello Boobs! ;)

Before little B was born I could count on one hand the number of people who'd seen my boobs; I wasn't someone who sunbathed topless and certainly not someone who'd parade around a changing room boobs out.  But then little B was born and that all changed; first the delivery room, then the midwives, then the wonderful lactation consultants, my NCT friends, parents, grandparents (why do relatives always watch?!), you catch my drift. Now it's a general day to day occurrence; the packed tube carriage the other day, the bus last week and yes the entire doctor's surgery yesterday.  But this is not because I have decided I don't care who sees, or am making a pro-breastfeeding statement.  Yes, I am pro-breastfeeding and proud to still be breastfeeding at nine, nearly ten months. Yes, I do love being able to nourish and sustain my daughter and believe that as a mother I have a right to feed my daughter as and when she needs it. And no, I don't want to give her a meal in the bathroom, Why should I? Or really, why should she?! Who wants to eat in a loo?!
 
BUT I am not deliberately choosing to show this much boob. Believe it or not, I am actually still a little shy about getting my boobs out to feed. But try telling that to little B. Little B is at the stage- I'm sure many of you know well- where she will pull out a boob when she wants it (she knows how to release them now!) have a bit of milk. Stop. Look around. Make a loud noise drawing all eyes our way... Go back on. stop, back on and repeat... So what am I to do? Pop the boob away every few seconds? Fairly pointless, it'll be back out in a minute and she finds it upsetting to have her favourite toy taken away mid-play! Use a shawl? Well let me tell you that gets thrown off!  Plus I can't see my daughter feed, can't make vital eye contact to bond with her and it's hot and stuffy in there for little B eating with her head fully covered. Also why should she do her eating hidden away like that?  Likewise layered clothing and scarves are shoved aside, or get in the way.  So where does this leave me? As I am; boob out, little B hanging off whilst I grin and bare it (excuse the pun!) and you know what? I'm learning to be ok with that, yes it's a little embarrassing at times but I'm happy little B is enjoying her food :) and proud that I am lucky enough to be able to feed her. Proud that my boobs can do such a wonderful job.

So I've decided that next time my boob is out, for all too see, I'm going to take a deep breath and be proud of myself and the breasts that are feeding my beautiful little girl. And you know what mamas? You should feel proud too! You made and are now sustaining life. You rock: your boobs rock! So bare them with pride ;)

Happy feeding all,
Love Mama Amore Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment